Like most things we take for granted, the Catholic Creeds have an amazing story—actually a lot of stories. What seems a simple prayer or statement of faith has a fascinating origin. And there is a reason it’s precisely worded the way it is and each word was fought over with great passion. It had to be worded just right. This little book is an introduction to the struggles, the heresies, the truth, and the men who fought to hand it down to us. We will discuss important elements like these:
- Why is it called a Creed and how was it used in the early Church?
- What were the fights, debates and struggles involved in hammering out the Creeds?
- Why do Christians have a formal statement of their beliefs when other world religions don’t?
- Are the words and concepts of the Creeds found in Scripture and if so, where?
- What is the one most crucial, fought over and non-biblical word in the Nicene Creed?
- What are the four important “marks” of the true Church that distinguish it from sects and denominations?
- What is the significance of the Creed’s emphasis on the bodily resurrection?
- Includes fascinating facts, historical development, arguments for defending the faith, a biblical summary and much more!
Knowing the story behind the creeds brings to life our fascinating history and beliefs. This book introduces the creeds as both a prayer and a personal commitment. Here you have the summary of Catholic doctrine in a nutshell, easy to read, memorize and practice.
Note: This book was previously published by Ignatius Press with the title Faith for Beginners.
Find Similar Products by Category
Customers also viewed